Saturday 9 October 2021

Black History Month in the UK

This month, it is annually Black History Month in the UK. 

Before I go any further, I want to clear up any confusion about Black History Month & the differences between British one and American one. 

If you reckon that Black History Month is just American thing, I afraid that you are wrong because it is also celebrated in the United Kingdom. It is not only America who celebrates Black History Month. Plus it is held annually in February in America. While here in the UK, it’s October. 

I hope that clears up any confusion. πŸ™‚πŸ˜€πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈπŸ‘πŸΎπŸ‘πŸΎ

Now about the Black History Month in the UK, it is an annual observance. Highlighting the importance of why it has to be observed every year annually. To combat racism and promoting the excellence and achievements of any black person. Example: Barack Obama - First Black US President & particularly historical figures like Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther King Jr. There are lots of famous names that we know of & do not know of (& yet to be known). 

Marcus Rashford (Black English football player who plays for Manchester United and England football team) is the hero. My hero. Although I am not fan of football, I am impressed to see the footballer who campaigned for free school meals and ending child poverty. Despite racism and online abuse following England’s loss to Italy in Euro 2020 Final in Wembley Stadium (which I talked about it in my previous blog post), Marcus Rashford is the true example of being activist. 




Recently Marcus Rashford received an honorary degree at the University of Manchester. As black person, I am very proud of him. πŸ™‚πŸ˜€

It is another reason why Black History Month must be acknowledged. 

Finally, earlier this year I talked about racism in my previous blog post and that we must keep on fighting racism and all its forms (including systemic racism). Black History Month is one of the ways to fight racism and saying no to racism. mrlimitless95.blogspot.com Especially that I do speak it from my experience as I only experienced racism once. 

If you want to know more about Black History Month in the United Kingdom, you can click the link to learn more about it. google.co.uk 

No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage