Wednesday 27 October 2021

The full story of my experience being scammed in Paris by rogue taxi driver

Here is a recap of what I have mentioned on two previous blog posts.  mrlimitless95.blogspot.com mrlimitless95.blogspot.com 

Also here is my advice to everybody. Whenever you go to whether is Paris or any place, going on holiday (vacation) or not, please be aware of any kind of scams (like taxi scam), fraud & pickpocketing.

Now today’s blog post is my story in both versions of my time in Paris, France two years ago. Being victimised of taxi scam by rogue taxi driver. 🇫🇷

Long story short

You may remember when I talked about my experience of fraud and scam in my February 2021 blog post that in summer of 2019, I became victimised of taxi scam in Paris, France.


For those who aren’t aware, long story short: the guy (taxi driver) approached me at the station, asked me if I wanted a ride. Given I was going for Uber, I said yes. Next thing, I was conned and victimised by the scammy rogue taxi driver. Fare price was ridiculously €75 (£70). 


Here is a full story version in case if you want to know more. 


Full story

When I was enjoying myself in Paris, France (which mostly were trouble free) in summer of 2019 & that I was there for three short days in late August, I arrived at Paris Gare Du Nord station via Eurostar train. When I was out of the station, the person came to me & said “do you want to go on ride?” I replied “yes”. Then next thing despite the journey from the station (Gare Du Nord) to the hotel (which I was staying for 3 days) was 8 minutes (not a long distance), he (the taxi driver who appeared to be “genuinely polite”) told me that the price was €75 (£70) & that he did conned me to pay for it. Not one but two amounts of the same amount €75 (£70 which made up the total amount of £140). It was on Sum Up card reader. 


At least when I returned home from France, I went to my bank (Barclays) straight away to report it as fraudulent & quickly, the money was refunded back to my account.


No wonder the taxi car I went on the ride didn’t had the taxi meter & the taxi sign. I would had gone for Kapten or Uber. In fact I was really going to book Uber for the ride before that person (rogue taxi driver) did approached to me.


When I informed the reception at the hotel that it had happened to me, one staff member told me that he “knows” some people who do operate in the dodgy business of fraud & scam & that he’ll do his own investigation in order to report rogue taxi driver to the French police.


The taxi fare from Gare Du Nord station to the hotel (which I was staying) should had been around €10 - €16 (£10 - £16). Instead it was too much expensive fare price. £70 (€75) for the journey which was less than 10 minutes from the station to the hotel, it was not a proper fare price. 


I could had took the picture of the car number plate of the rogue taxi driver who conned me to pay two exact same amounts of €75 (£70) & reported to the French police. Instead I decided not to because i didn’t want my 3 day holiday in Paris to be overshadowed by taxi scam. So that’s how my time in Paris was mostly trouble free, it was unfortunate that had happened especially after me being out of the station from the Eurostar train that took 2 hours from London St Pancras to Paris Gare Du Nord. I loved the journey by the way. Next time when I come to visit Paris or any big European cities that has many tourists visiting there like Barcelona or Rome, I have to be street wise before that sort of thing like taxi scam happens to me which I will have to do my best not to be in that situation again. 


I even posted it on Twitter. Paris Taxi Scam  

Moreover as I already talked on my previous blog post how to stay safe from all type of scams, I will reiterate as mentioned on my blog post that I published a month ago with an advice on taxi cabs. mrlimitless95.blogspot.com 

Whether is in London, Paris, Barcelona, New York, Tokyo or any city in the world, make sure you booked for a taxi cab that is not going to rip you off with rip off fare prices that is not genuinely normal price. It is about the destination & how long will journey take (length of time = duration). Example: if I want to go Camden Town & that I am coming from Barnet with taxi cab, I would want to be sure that the fare price is reasonable. Reasonably normal price because nowadays, people would book the hail and ride apps like Uber instead of the expansive black cabs in London for a cheap fare & I occasionally use the hail and ride apps (the likes of Uber, Free Now formerly Kapten, Bolt and Ola). Not ordinary cabs like black cabs. 


So my recommendation is use any reliable cab that is not going to rip you off, look for reasonable & cheap fare & use ride and hail app like Uber (if you want to). Never allow any potential rogue taxi driver to take the advantage of you even if he/she asks you with question whether you want to go on the ride or not. You make your own decision accordingly & not have to fall for any potential taxi scam. 


And if you are not going to use a hail and ride app (the likes of Uber), make sure that the taxi driver & the cab has the taxi meter so that you know to pay for the fare price (as long it is not expensive).


Finally during my time in Paris, I found so many news sources that shows that Foreign tourists are being duped by rogue taxi drivers in Paris. Knowing that I am not the only one. 







Example: in 2018, Rogue taxi driver in Paris was sentenced for 8 months in jail for conning the couple who were tourists from Thailand. 

So yeah, be careful everybody and happy & safe travels in any cities like Paris. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage