Friday 12 November 2021

Dubai is A Parody Of The 21st Century - My reaction to YouTube video

UAE: United Arab Emirates 🇦🇪 


The country made up of 6 Emirates is an economic hub & travel destination. 


It has everything. Skyscrapers and many foreigners particularly western foreigners who calls themselves “expats” who are living in two cities; Abu Dhabi and Dubai. It really does bring revenues to the economy of UAE when it comes to tourism. 


However I do have mixed feelings about the nation. Every time when there are news about UAE relating to tourists & foreigners, it is all negative. amp.theguardian.com bbc.com independent.co.uk mirror.co.uk 


We should know that the United Arab Emirates is Conservative country. Strictly Conservative.


Strict Muslim country and it is not free and tolerant country like countries particularly in the West like USA, Canada & here in Britain & Europe. So to think that UAE is the same as western country, well it is Arabic country so never think that you can do anything you like in the Emirates because the nation has strict laws. Laws (which are awfully draconian) that you won’t even believe it especially even you don’t realise that you may have break the laws knowingly or unknowingly. 


And if you are going to the UAE via Dubai, Abu Dhabi, both or anywhere, know about the country & have a list of do’s and don’t’s so that you wouldn’t have to be in the news for wrong reasons & hopefully you’ll avoid to be in big trouble & receiving a lash (whiplash cos it will be very painful). For me personally, I wouldn’t think of going to the UAE unless I know what I am really visiting there for so that I wouldn’t have to make mistakes while being in the Emirates. I can visit there but it is not kind of vibes that you’ll be passionately happy while visiting any country in the world. 🇦🇪


And there is an video on YouTube called “Dubai is A Parody Of The 21st Century” by YouTuber called Adam Something. 


I have seen the video couple of times so this is my reaction to it. 


My reaction 


This guy talks sense. A lot of sense that there are factually true. He mentions skyscrapers (which is eyesore even it is nice attractive building), sea levels in Dubai and islands (as far climate change is concerned) and migrant workers who are being exploited. Being treated badly and most of migrant workers are originally from India. Being treated like a slave. That would be something that is being used in the Middle East. Kafala.


The Kafala system. Controversial & exploitive system that victimises & exploits migrant workers (including Africans, Indians, Filipinos) in Middle Eastern countries. It’s awful. Treating it as “work sponsor system” used in ME (Middle East) which really is like forced labour. 


And yet, everyone goes to the UAE as if the nation is not in the ME despite we know for the fact that it is indeed in ME geographically. I can acknowledge that the country is economic/business hub and travel destination. I can acknowledge that the country used to be the country that was poor until the formation of the UAE in 1971. Which eventually in the years by the government of UAE, it becomes the UAE that we know now. However like I said, I wouldn’t visit the country unless I know what I am really visiting for without any potential errors (even if I do want to go there). Just for safety reasons since I am a careful person so for that, Adam Something highlights the topics that it is true regarding about Dubai & the Emirates. 


Finally, I am not dissuading anybody who has desire to visit the country or have visited the country before. It is that I know everybody including my readers to really understand that the UAE is not western country. It is Middle Eastern country. Even if there are many foreigners from different parts of the world are living in the emirates as expats. Although there would be seen as “immigrants” by Emirate nationals, the govt & monarch and getting an citizenship & passport will take very long time. 30 years. Even if the UAE passport is the one of the world’s powerful passport & just recently accepted dual citizenship for permanent foreign residents this year. So yeah, that is my reaction to the video that I watched on YouTube.


I would recommend everybody to watch the video down below. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage