Sunday 18 April 2021

I stopped watching wrestling

This blog post is going to be interesting blog post as I will talk to you about sports. Combative sports. Wrestling.


When you think of wrestling, you either think of Japanese wresting (Sumo) or Mexican wrestling or even American wrestling like World Wrestling Entertainment (better well known as WWE). WWE used to be called “WWF = World Wrestling Federation” until 2002 due to the confusion with the same name “WWF” = the name of the charity & international non governmental organisation World Wildlife Fund which they (charity) won a lawsuit over WWE. The result of it, they (WWE) ditched letter “f” & replaced with letter “e”. 


Anyways my point is that I used to enjoy watching wrestling when I was a young. I first watched WWE on TV sometime in 2004. Nowadays especially in the last couple of years ago around 2015, I stopped having an interest to watching wrestling. ðŸ¤¼‍♀️🤼‍♂️🤼 


The reason why was that I didn’t seem to have an interest anymore. I made my own personal decision. I don’t have the same enjoyment when I was a kid. Even if I occasionally watch the highlights of match on YouTube, I do not have an interest anymore to watch wrestling. 


Wrestling matches are too combative. Especially in the format and storylines. Each time when wrestlers gets injured, the injury can be career ending & that the wrestler (he/she) would have no choice to retire from wrestling even the person wanted to continue wrestling. I read so many stories including that some wrestlers would be in trouble by taking steroids. It’s dangerous to have pump up a muscles while being an wrestler or any athlete in the sport business. 


Most of all, when the message say “don’t try this at home” before and after the showing of wrestling match on Television, some people would do something reckless just to hurt themselves or others. When I watched wrestling shows (WWE & TNA now renamed as Impact Wrestling), all the matches were all just for storytelling. Although I will not get into any debate whether the wrestling is fake or not. I will say that wrestling in general is not kid friendly. 


In depends which wrestling show do you watch for. WWE is PG rated (kid friendly) & it has been PG rated since 2008 (that means no wrestler would have to bleed with chair shots & weapons. Even in different match stipulations). In my opinion, children can watch wrestling shows like WWE but they need to understand that matches can end up in injury which could be career ending & that they should not try it at home. It is preferable that kids shouldn’t had to watch wrestling shows at all. Even if they aspire to become wrestlers one day when he/she grows up. 


The point that I am making is when you watch wrestling shows like WWE, it will be on your mind & sometimes you can be addicted to it. That is not to say that person cannot be a fan of wrestling 


Nobody doubts that it is competition sport. It is also a combat sport like boxing. Thanks goodness that I didn’t aspire to be a wrestler because it would meant that I would have to take risks of being a wrestler to wrestle with opponents while doing a lot of training to be the “best wrestler” to win matches & accomplishing championships while being a face (hero/good) or heel (villain/bad). That is when I watched WWE, I became familiar with wrestling glossaries (words) in the world of wrestling. Including Raw & Smackdown & PPVs like Royal Rumble, Wrestle-mania, Summer Slam & Survivor Series. It can be dangerous & risky business. Wrestling. Especially when wrestlers aspire to be on shows like WWE. 


Even when I watched it for many years back, I recall watching the storyline around in 2007 between Vince McMahon (or Mr McMahon) battling against Donald Trump (yes, Donald Trump. Future US President who was doing his reality TV show the Apprentice back then given I had no idea who was that Donald Trump guy. Perhaps it was because we watched something whether is movies or TV shows that originated from America like Jerry Springer & Judge Judy) 


So for my own experience, I felt that I enjoyed watching WWE. Now I don’t because it is not enjoyable. I know some people who do watch (my relative. My uncle = mum’s brother). My father even used to watch wrestling (WWE) as well so it seems we have something in common that we don’t watch wrestling. 


During my time, I liked wrestlers & disliked wrestlers. There are so many I can think of. The list goes on so I’ll start the obvious ones who are well known. 


Wrestlers I liked (even some I will mention are legends & some who still wrestle in the present day) were the Undertaker. Kane, Edge, Triple H, Batista. Randy Orton, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold Steve Austin, HBK, Bert Hart, Kurt Angle & the Rock (aka Dwayne Johnson). Even today’s wrestlers like Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan & AJ Styles. Wrestlers I didn’t liked was John Cena (although I first liked him & then I didn’t liked whilst at the same time, I respected him because after all, it was storytelling in the wrestling business based on the character of wrestler & how he performed in the ring with opponents). I couldn’t think of anything other than Mr John Cena. Nowadays he doesn’t wrestle at much given ex wrestlers like Batista, John Cena and especially The Rock, would become successful movie actors in Hollywood. 


Now I don’t even want to think of WWE or any type of wrestling because it is too combative & that was when I stop having interest in the world of wrestling as a fan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage