Wednesday 28 July 2021

Are Jamaicans & Caribbean nationals Africans?

One day, I was watching on YouTube. Then I come across this short video clip. 

The name of the short video is called “When you tell a Jamaican they’re African”. It is a 25 seconds video. 


My reaction: Hilarious!!! 

πŸ˜€πŸ™‚πŸ˜‚πŸ‡―πŸ‡²Hilarious video. Although it is true that Jamaicans & other Caribbean nationals are all African by ancestry. It is that some do not want to admit because it is true that Jamaicans are African by ancestry.

However I really do have to say that the guy in the video thinks that he is just Jamaican. Jamaican only as if he is not African descendant. 

Well the vast majority of Jamaicans are African descendants so to say that he is “not African” is not accurately correct. If the guy really thinks that he is not African, then he is in denial & that he may been having a identity crisis. 

He should learn history. Either by watching history documentary, reading history book or both about how blacks were brought to the Caribbean as slaves. Instead of denying his roots. Jamaicans and other Caribbean nationals are Africans by ancestry. If he really believes that his roots are from Caribbean & not African then perhaps, he should think of taking an ancestry DNA test to confirm that (I doubt cos it will likely show that his roots are definitely from Africa) After all, it is just a suggestion. 

Now since I am a blogger & writer who was born in the UK to two African parents (mum = South African & dad = Nigerian), I do not deny my roots because I know for the fact that I am African. British person of African descent. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡ΏπŸ‡¦πŸ‡³πŸ‡¬


In fact, I have the shirt that have been designed for me by the friend of my mother. Just to show that I am proud of my roots & that I am black and proud. 

I understand some of Caribbean nationals (particularly Jamaicans) does not want to be reminded of slavery & colonialism. But to not identify themselves as “Africans” & that some Blacks in Caribbean would behave as if they only come from Caribbean, it is not right. It is not right of living in denial even if you are not really from Africa of any African nationality. Between 60% & 100% of people who are Afro Caribbeans have African ancestry.  

It’s like saying that British is not European (all because of Brexit obviously except we know Britain is in Europe geographically despite not being an member of the European Union). 

All I can say is everyone can say & think whatever he/she likes regarding the identity that he/she belongs to. But to deny & not wanting to acknowledge the ancestral roots of what really originate from, it is absurd. 

So yeah, be proud of your roots people. Regardless what country where you born in. That is my message. My advice to anyone who is denial, please just acknowledge & be proud instead of denying & not identifying what your roots really come from. This can be applied to anyone including some of Caribbean nationals (Jamaicans included) who doesn’t identify themselves as Africans. They are Africans by ancestry whether they like it or not. That’s all. End of story.

Now I will enjoy myself by listening to Peter Tosh song. 

“Don’t care where you come from
As long as you’re a black man, you’re an African
No mind your nationality
You have got the identity of an African” - Peter Tosh 🎢🎡


No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage