Saturday 31 July 2021

We all stutter regardless whether you have speech/language disorder or not

What is language disorder? 


Here is the meaning of it. 


Language disorders or language impairments are disorders that involve the processing of linguistic information. Problems that may be experienced can involve grammar (syntax and/or morphology), semantics (meaning), or other aspects of language.


People with language disorder have difficulty expressing themselves and understanding what others are saying. This is unrelated to hearing problems. Language disorder, formerly known as receptive-expressive language disorder, is common in young children.


Now this is not really related to having difficulty of learning foreign language. It is all about expressing and understanding what others are saying in terms of interpretation. 


Now what is speech disorder? 


A speech disorder is a condition in which a person has problems creating or forming the speech sounds needed to communicate with others


Example: Joe Biden (former US Senator for Delaware, former Vice President & now the US President) have problems with stuttering his life. He doesn’t allow it to define him. Especially with the advice  from his mother. 


It is not easy of dealing with stammering even if you are trying to speak by forming a sentence verbally. 


google.co.uk 


stutteringhelp.org 


m.youtube.com 


m.youtube.com 


m.youtube.com 


Even movie actor Samuel L. Jackson. He would overcome his problems of stammer by using swear words (profanity) which I will not mention it. stutteringhelp.org 


Here are the link for other celebrities, famous people & public figures.


google.co.uk 


Now why I am talking about stuttering? 


Well remember when I talked about making music on my January blog post earlier this year & that I enjoyed making music, singing & playing the guitar? mrlimitless95.blogspot.com 


Well on my GP medical information, it stated that I have “speech or language developmental disorder”. As much I do not admitting that I have problems with stuttering as part of my diagnosis, I can say from my personal experience that even if that was the case, I never had a fear when talking to someone verbally & making a sentence. This is very personal for me so that you can understand what I am coming from. 


It is true that when I was young, I had a help & input from speech and language therapists when I was at primary and secondary schools. The speech and language therapy helped me a lot even at the time, I didn’t really wanted to go there & that I felt I shouldn’t need to. It was part of the main fact that I have autism (high functioning) and learning difficulty (mild) under the SEN (special educational needs) category  label. That would be the reason why I am able to use freedoms pass (disabled one) to travel freely on London buses, the Tube (London Underground) and National Rail services (as long it is in London & it is not outside London). mrlimitless95.blogspot.com 


The therapy (speech and language) taught me plenty of things including how to manage it & overcome it. One of the things that are the causes of stammering are being frustrated/angry, trauma, having worries (fear), etc. Even being drunk is also the cause of stammering. At the end of the day, it is neurogenic, psychogenic and pharmacogenetic. The speed of speaking which anyone should be able to speak clearly so that any person can understand him/her what he/she has got something to say. The speed of talking & being able to say confidently without fear or barrier that could potentially impair his/her speech while forming a sentence verbally by saying something. 


This is one thing that I never let it define me is stuttering part or anything that is mentioned on my medical information (including autism). Why be defined by medical condition? It would be as if you never be able to prosper in life & allowing it to be issue with any diagnosis. For me I do recognise & acknowledge it but I do not let define me. It would be easier if I never had “speech or language disorder” & that I would be completely normal. 


In life, we all have challenges. My challenges is different than yours. I don’t deny that I have challenges in all walks of life. But to overcome it, that is where help comes in. In any form of help. If I didn’t had speech and language therapy when I was a young boy, my life would had been different & that I wouldn’t be confident as I am today. I am confident because of my strengths & what I am really good are. Making & writing music, presentation & being able to read, speak and write (which I have progressed well in English lessons when I was in primary and secondary schools & the college). That is what I am on basis of being who I am & being stronger. 


There is nothing wrong of being weak. However portraying someone who deals with challenges to overcome it & still being seen incompetently weak is demeaning & unacceptable. Making a mockery (fun) of someone who have medical problems or any kind is also not acceptable. That can make the person to feel insecure emotionally & not being good & strong about himself or herself. 


You won’t try to fix any person who happened to have his/her condition which is not curable. Whether is eating disorder despite the fact that the person (he/she) have challenges or someone who is non verbal (not being able to speak), being deaf or being dyslexic. That is what the person is. He/she is what him or her are. I know who I am. 


Being judgmental and ignorant will not work. Having understanding is what keeps the person being able to be positive about themselves with encouragement, advice, empathy, guidance, confidence and emotional support. 


At the end of the day, we all have our own challenges in life & that is why I do not let things to bother me. Even if I do accept that I have problems of my own & how to solve it. 


So when people do stutter, it is not because whether the person have problems when doing an presentation or speaking. It is because we are humans. We all stutter regardless whether you have speech/language disorder or not and whether the person has it or not. 


It is all about understanding & giving someone support and guidance without having to be judgmental or pointing fingers. 


I end this interesting blog post with quote from Joe Biden (US President).



"It has nothing to do with your intelligence quotient. It has nothing to do with your intellectual makeup," Biden said. "You know, stuttering, when you think about it, is the only handicap that people still laugh about. That still humiliate people about. And they don\"t even mean to."


“The President credited his mother when it came to not letting his stutter define him. He said his mother would tell him, "Joey, don\"t let this define you. Joey, remember who you are. Joey, you can do it. So every time I would walk out, she would reinforce me. I know that sounds silly, but it really matters."

No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage