Thursday 23 September 2021

Born in the “wrong” generation?

“Talking about my generation” - The Who 

I don’t know about you but I come across this video on YouTube. Short clip video 

The guy who claims that he is Jamaican only & denies that he is African is the same person (YouTuber I think). This time, the guy time travels to the past, wishing that he lived in the 1960s. Claiming that he is born in the “wrong” generation. 

Anyway please be advised that the short video that I attached contains profanity (swearing/bad language) and racial slur (the words that you may find it offensive). 


Moreover, it may be a funny video but I don’t know really if any of that makes sense. Especially I think it is not a fair generalisation. As if blacks wants to go in the past & live the racist era with the time machine. 

I don’t know anyone who say that he/she is born in the “wrong” generation regardless of skin colour. As someone with ethnicity background, I would never want to live in any racist eras (apartheid in South Africa, segregation in USA) or even slavery in any era.

So I have no idea why the guy in the video wishes that he lived in the 60s. If I was him, I would never suggest any time period that were completely racist. I would also listen to the Who song “My generation” because to say that the person is born in the “wrong” generation, meaning the person (him or her) is not being grateful that the generation (particularly the millennial & even younger generation like Generation Z) are way different generations than previous generations like Baby Boomers & Generation X. 

I say this as an millennial who was born in the mid 90s & grown up with some things that were not around in the generation of my parents like internet, PC (personal computer), email, etc. My first phone was the phone with buttons before we do have smart phones and I didn’t had my own tablet computer (Apple iPad) until I went to America in 2012 with my mum & my younger brothers. Even the Internet cafe. Nobody uses the Internet cafe (& I think it is old fashioned), typewriter or pen pal since nowadays we are so hooked on social media & smart phones & all that stuff. 

At the end of the day in my point of view, there are something that we can be grateful & sometimes not being grateful on some thing but to wish that you were born in your parent’s generation or grandparent’s generation because you don’t like some things currently at this present time, then I think there is something wrong with you. 

So would I say that I am born in the “wrong” generation? My answer: Even if there are some things that I do not like or something I cannot understand, I don’t think that I was born in the wrong generation so no. 

I really don’t get why the person is having some thoughts. Claiming that he is only Jamaican & not wanting to admit that he is African and now a video of him wishing that he lived in the 1960s. 

At least this song was released in the 1960s. Sung by the legendary English rock band. The Who. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage