Thursday 2 June 2022

My thoughts on Platinum Jubilee

​Today is the day 1 of Platinum Jubilee bank holiday celebrations. πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ’·πŸ‘‘

It has started today & will finish on Sunday. 

My thoughts on Platinum Jubilee

It is a remarkable that the Queen has reached an incredible milestone. 70 years of reigns on the throne. Queen Elizabeth II - First ever British monarch have three jubilees: Sliver Jubilee (1977), Golden Jubilee (2002), Diamond Jubilee (2012) and Platinum Jubilee (2022). All I can say is congratulations to the Queen. That is something it can be acknowledged. Lifetime of duty to public services. I am not really royalist or Republican so I don’t say anything much about the Royal Family. 

Anyway regarding Platinum Jubilee celebrations, I wonder to myself, why the once in lifetime Jubilee celebration while this country is going through tough times financially and economically due to inflation, rising bills & the cost of living (which are the fallouts of the Covid pandemic) as effects of Brexit & 12 years of austerity cuts under three Tory Prime Ministers (Cameron, May & Johnson). There’ll be some people may not want to celebrate jubilee & that is okay. 

And to be bluntly honest. The last couple of years regarding politics which the divisive topic (Brexit) have torn the country apart & the fact I was once once victimised of racism despite growing up in the UK & that I lived through two jubilees (Golden & Diamond), this year’s Platinum is not something I can confidently say I am proud to be British. That may be the case in 2012 at the time there were two major events: Diamond Jubilee and London 2012 games (Olympics & Paralympics) but 4 years later with the unnecessary & divisive referendum result in 2016 (obviously I am talking about Brexit) & the despicable politicians (the likes of Farage, Boris Johnson, etc) & me being victimised of racism, it is not really the same. The sense of feeling proud to be British.

Now I am not saying don’t be proud to be British, be proud of being British if you want to but the sense of being happy to be Brit in my opinion has gone away long time. Being hijacked by the conservative media outlets. No wonder there are some type of people who do claim to be proud of being British & yet showing his/her true colours by being racist & xenophobic bigot. That is not patriotic. Being patriot means you care about the country. It is not about flag waving or showing love & admiration to the monarchy. It is about doing something to improve the country with action so racism & any form of prejudicial discrimination is the opposite of patriotism. I have to say as someone who is British born African who has parents from Commonwealth countries (Nigeria & South Africa). 

In addition to that regarding Jubilee celebrations 2022 is the different year than 2012, 2002 or even 1977 or 1952. If it wasn’t for Brexit or politics in general regarding the rise of food banks caused by austerity & higher bills due to inflation & cost of living crisis then maybe I would had been proud to say that I am happy to be British. I even talked about in my previous blog post about the idea of adopting UBI to fix the welfare system & helping the poor & feeding the poor. 

And lastly, the two last years has been very tough for us due to the Coronavirus pandemic & that we all equally suffered globally. Now there is no panic about Covid apart from moneypox (which is not really fatal disease like Covid 19) so we won’t have to experience anymore lockdowns except the fact that Boris Johnson is under severe pressure regarding the partygate scandal which I will talk more about it in the upcoming days. 

So that is all I can say about my thoughts on Platinum Jubilee. Enjoy yourselves regardless whether you do celebrate or not. Have a day everybody. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage