Sunday 6 March 2022

War in Ukraine: Racism knows no borders and wars

Racism knows no borders and wars

You know if there is something what has been ongoing regarding the situation in Ukraine (now that the country is a war torn). It is because many Ukrainian refugees are fleeing their home country from Russian military forces. Read more on my blog post about it

But here’s the thing. Many people in Ukraine who are mostly foreign students are caught up in the situation too. We are talking of non Ukrainian nationals: Afghans, Syrians, Moroccans, Indians, Africans, etc. 

Now why I am saying? Well two things. 

1. When I first read about it on social media, I seen the hashtag that were trending on Twitter. #AfricansinUkraine As someone with ethnic minority background, I was very shocked to see why black people are being treated awfully by the authorities at the Poland - Ukrainian border. I seen videos of them not being allowed to aboard on the train & buses. For me, it is not acceptable. Click the link so that you’ll understand what I am coming from 

2. Racist bias being reported in the news outlets. 

I come across of the exact reason why Africans & Foreginers in Ukraine are being treated awfully while just accepting Ukrainian refugees. The racist news bias reported on news outlets. The whole list of it

Everything from BBC News (UK) to CBS News (US). ITV News (UK), Al Jazeera (Qatar), etc.

What’s the point of standing with Ukraine & the people of Ukraine if you cannot stand with Foregin nationals who aren’t obviously Ukrainians? It doesn’t make any sense logically at all. 

Why divide people based on nationality and allow Ukrainian refugees based on the fact that they are all Caucasians (whites) and Slavs? I don’t know the answer to it but I know for the fact it is not fair on them (foreign students & non Foreign students alike) who are so caught up in the very difficult and heartbreaking situation and that the authorities should had helped them out & not being rudely unfair. Instead, all I hear is some wouldn’t want refugees who are ethnic minority backgrounds. 

Has Europe not learned any lessons since seven years ago? Last time the European continent needs is repeat of mistakes that happened in 2015.

Lastly, my hearts out to everybody both Ukrainian and non Ukrainian alike being affected by the invasion of Russian forces in Ukraine. After all, racism knows no borders and racism knows no wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the rise of BRICS in the world stage